We asked our members to tell us about their favourite meals to cook. Here, The Joy Club’s David Hoyle shares his slow cooked chicken tikka masala recipe…
As a person who has always been used to eating plain food, a few years ago my wife decided to change things up a bit and persuaded me to try eating curry. It was not a meal I really fancied the idea of, but I tried it – a tikka masala – and I really enjoyed it! I looked at a few recipe books for ideas on making my own, and I now have my own recipe that we enjoy twice a month.
David’s tikka masala
You will need:
- Chicken breast or thighs
- One tablespoon of garam masala
- One tablespoon of turmeric
- One tablespoon of paprika
- Half a teaspoon of garlic powder
- Half a teaspoon of chopped green chillies (from a jar)
- One large onion
- One red pepper and one green pepper
- 100g of chopped tinned tomatoes
- A handful of fresh, small plum tomatoes
- A handful of brown mushrooms, halved
- Cut your chicken breast or thighs into chunks and put in a slow cooker, along with one tablespoon of the following: garam masala, turmeric and paprika.
- Add in half a teaspoon of garlic powder and chopped green chillies.
- Dice a large onion and cut red and green peppers into strips. Fry in a separate pan for five minutes until they are slightly soft and add to the slow cooker.
- Next, add 100g of chopped tinned tomatoes plus a handful of fresh, small plum tomatoes.
- Pop in a handful of brown mushrooms, cut into halves.
- Cook everything together in your slow cooker for one hour on high then three hours on medium.
I serve it with a portion of both rice and chips. We enjoy it with naan bread and a glass of wine.
I would not like to eat a really hot curry, but I find this recipe very tasty and this is coming from a man who only started eating curry a few years ago!
This recipe is easy to make as all you do is put the ingredients into the slow cooker, switch it on and leave it to cook for a few hours.
David is part of The Joy Club’s Member Steering Group. You can read more about him (and our other members) here. If you’d like to submit a recipe for us to share, we’d love to hear from you! You can get in touch on email@example.com. Don’t forget to share a photo of your dish!