Frittata muffins recipe
At The Joy Club, we’re big fans of wonderful, tasty and nutritious food. Food that empowers, fuels and heals us, and has a positive impact on our health and wellbeing. That’s why we’re delighted to have partnered with Après Food Co. They create the very best organic, fresh food – expertly crafted, flash frozen and ready to eat in minutes. All of their dishes are hand-made from scratch using ingredients that have been carefully chosen for their nourishing benefits to both body and mind. The Après team have kindly shared one of their delicious recipes with us… frittata muffins! These little bundles of joy are perfect for breakfast, lunch, snacks, or picnics.
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks (use the whites to make meringues or discard)
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled & cubed
- 1 red pepper cut into thin strips
- 1/2 avocado cubed
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- salt & pepper
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
Method for making frittata muffins:
Preheat your oven to 200 degrees C.
- Put the eggs (including yolks) into a bowl and whip until nicely amalgamated. Strain through a fine sieve and season with pink salt and a grind or two of black pepper. Put it to one side whilst you prepare the filling…
- Heat a baking tray in the oven with a small amount of coconut oil on it. When hot, tip on your butternut squash cubes and stir to coat in the oil. Roast in the oven for about 40 minutes – keep checking and stirring them (do this every eight minutes, or so), to prevent them sticking or drying out on the edges. You want them nicely caramelised on the outside and squishy in the middle. About 15 minutes before they are cooked, add in your strips of red pepper. Again, be careful to keep an eye on these as the skins can burn very easily. You want to cook them until they are soft and melting, but not crispy or dry. Or course you can make more of this and use the rest in salads etc. Once cooked, tip into a bowl to wait for the other ingredients.
- Heat a pan on the stove until very hot and then pour in the spoonful of olive oil. Take the pan immediately off the heat and quickly flutter in your spinach. Stir quickly until it begins to wilt but not so much that it all disappears into a puree – you want to still see the leaves keep their beautiful vibrant green. Tip out of the pan and add to the bowl of pepper and squash.
- Add your cubes of avocado to the squash, pepper and spinach, and season with a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Pour the egg mixture halfway in your muffin cases and spoon in equal amounts of the filling. Mix with a teaspoon to ensure the filling gets coated in the egg mixture – this is so that when you eat your muffin all the filling isn’t clumped together in the middle. Pour the remainder of the egg mixture over each one – be careful not to let it spill over the paper case or it will be a nightmare to clean off the muffin tray later on!
- Carefully place your muffin tray in the centre of the oven and bake for about 17-20 minutes or until they are completely cooked through. They will soufflé up and look simply wonderful – however this only lasts about 10 seconds before they settle back down to be a muffin. They will also smell divine.
- Allow to cool and eat your delicious frittata muffins! You can keep the muffins in the fridge and eat them later too.
Not yet a member but would like to access this fantastic offer? Join The Joy Club today!